2.06.2010

Nostalgia

I love to remember good memories. There are few times when a human being can truly feel high, and no I don't mean drugs this time, but high as in a higher level of consciousness, and I think that feeling can often be found locked into the memories you may consider as your best. 


I don't know what it is, but anytime I replay a meaningful event in my life, a pleasant one of course, this feeling of contentment just overwhelms me. 


Aha! Something has just occurred to me. Someone once told me "Our lives pass in a blink of an eye, and it should always be the good memories we dwell on and not the bad" While that has always made sense, it makes even more sense now. Why is it that people would rather make themselves miserable over and over by remembering what happened that was so bad. It is much more satisfying to think about the moments when you were the happiest. Not only does it feel better, but I think it could also give great insight about what really makes you happy. Sometimes the memory doesn't even have to be a person. It can be a sight, a song, a scent. All of these things can be so perplexingly beautiful.


Memories also hold a special kind of power in the fact that they allow us to revisit our pasts and reveal to us who we once were, while showing us who we have become. They are like photographs only better because they hold that unquestionable feeling of experience to which all others forms of understanding are incompetent- hence the saying "I guess you had to be there"


My goal I think is that the next time I get upset about something, I am going to think about sometime where I was happy instead, and I will let that feeling of content fill me rather than let the negative feeling rip me apart.


Until next time, remember all that is good.



No comments:

Post a Comment