4.13.2010

An Experiment

So, recently I have decided that I am going to try a new little experiment in my life. I have decided to try and live without facebook. It sounds so completely trivial, but fact of the matter is, it's not as simple as it sounds.

Practically every person is on facebook now days. This includes parents, professors, and finally businesses are jumping on board. 

Facebook started out as a great idea-- a way to keep in contact with friends that you don't see everyday in order to find out what is going on with their lives. However, now it has turned into an obsession where you can practically stalk people and nothing in anyone's life is a secret anymore.

Also when you think in terms of our government. Facebook could very well be a government program where every single person is tracked because they submit themselves to such tracking willingly. With statuses that tell people their every move and pictures that show them in places near their homes. Although it has its advantages...I think that there are many negatives to be said about facebook. 

I mainly started this process because I spent way too much time on my facebook when I could have been outside enjoying a nice day, or when I should have been doing my homework. 

This is offically my second day being free of facebook and I must admit I am struggling. It really is a hard thing to let go of. To be honest, the habit had gotten so bad that sometimes I still turn on my computer and click the facebook link where I am brought to the homepage and I go YIKES! How did I end up here? I didn't mean to. haha.

But it really is hard. I miss talking to my friends, and seeing what they are doing. I miss sharing what I am doing with others. But I think it is important to be without this technology for some time because just 5 or 6 years ago it did not exist. 


We become so sucked into technology and dependent on it that we lose our real connections to lives-- as in face-to- face. Also, let's face it. I do not need to know every single step that you take when you go to the bathroom, sleep, or school. 


These next 1-2 weeks (minimum) I am devoting myself to cleansing myself of facebook and its rediculousness. Maybe after the initial hard part of withdraw is over, who knows maybe I will have no desire to go back! Let's hope! Here I go! I am going to be free! (Well more than before anyway)


P.S. What kind of word is deactivate anyway? Doesn't sound human to me. Think about it.



No comments:

Post a Comment