4.16.2010

True Talent from Amelia Photography


Amongst other things, my friend Hannah is a photographer. Her talent for finding beauty in common objects and her visualization is jaw dropping. She once told me "I don't even know if I want to be a photographer." To which I replied, "Well you don't have to have a job as a photographer, but you have an unbelievable talent for it so whatever you do, it has to be part of your life, perhaps as a hobby if nothing else."


I first met Hannah during my first year at college, she happened to be living in the room across the hall from mine. On move-in day I saw her moving into her room from mine and I noticed that we had brought the same quilt, different colors. I then proceeded to notice her outfit. She wore cut off blue denim shorts, a white V-neck tee which it appeared she had cropped herself, black slip on sneakers and an interesting buffalo nickel pendant necklace that had been crafted so that just the Indian head remained in the circle, leaving other parts cut out. It was something I would have never thought to put together but it was chic in every way. I wondered to myself if we would get to be friends, I hoped that we would be, but wasn't sure if she'd find me interesting. 


Well, lucky for me, over the course of the year I got to know her and her photography as well. Even before she began to work on her photography at school the photos that she brought in from her high school and previous summers floored me. She made common items look extraordinary, landscapes wowed with color and there is always this feel of unexpected juxtapositions which never doubts to mesmerize. To me she is a true surrealist.

Now, I don't know anything technical about photography, so I will not pretend I do. But I do know that talent has a way of moving people, and what is usually funny is that the artist did not even have to break their back to achieve it. While some photos grab me more than others, I was looking through her flickr (which I will share with you) and I could not find a single photo that wasn't captivating in some way. 

I also love to watch her work. Sometimes when she tells me about her idea I'm not really sure what to expect. Next thing I know I see it all unfold and the ideas are tirelessly brilliant! I still might not have any clue what is in the frame of her camera when she clicks the button, but once the images are up and loaded on the computer I'm usually freaking out because they are exquisite! 


So in light of all this, I wanted to share some of them with you because I never get tired of experiencing her photos so I brought some of my favorites.. because if I would have brought them all I wouldn't be able to ever fit anything else ever again on this blog haha. So because I couldn't bring them all... it is impertinent that you visit her website in order to view them for yourself!


You can find the rest of her photographs HERE on flickr under Amelia Photography here are some favs of mine:


                     

No comments:

Post a Comment